Options

I have to pay almost £20 travel costs to Job Centre interviews

BaldnessBBaldnessB Posts: 168
Forum Member
edited 10/04/24 - 22:28 in Advice #1
I had to move from working tax credits to universal credit over a month ago and I've had to pay almost £20 per month in bus travel costs and the job centre say tough we can't refund you. Yet these weekly interviews continue.

Seems I'm not allowed the phone interview option. But nothing at these interviews really requires a face to face meeting.

I told them it's not fair the guy living two streets away from the job centre pays nothing and I lose £20 of my benefit every month.

I need to make an official complaint about this. Is it possible? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ohmygoshohmygosh Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member
    I’m sure it’s possible and you should absolutely make an official complaint.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read that help can be given with travel expenses but that's discretionary and subject to local guidelines and budgets. That's paid from something called the Flexible Support Fund so you might want to read this PDF to see if you're entitled to get anything for your regular work search review appointments. I've had a quick look and you don't appear to come under the circumstances where it must be paid.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,032
    Forum Member
    BaldnessB wrote: »
    I had to move from working tax credits to universal credit over a month ago and I've had to pay almost £20 per month in bus travel costs and the job centre say tough we can't refund you. Yet these weekly interviews continue.

Seems I'm not allowed the phone interview option. But nothing at these interviews really requires a face to face meeting.

I told them it's not fair the guy living two streets away from the job centre pays nothing and I lose £20 of my benefit every month.

Isn't there a nearer job centre? How far away is it?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I was last signing on, you were allocated a job centre based on your postcode and surname and could not alter it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

When I was last signing on, you were allocated a job centre based on your postcode and surname and could not alter it.

Yes you may be right. It's been 25 years since I signed on.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,560
    Forum Member
    It seems pretty ludicrous having to physically turn up every week, and them not paying you bus fare?. However, aren't bus fares only £2.00 still? - so that would be only £16.00 per month, assuming a single bus.

It wouldn't apply to me anyway (too old) but are such appointments at set times?, because lack of buses, and probably multiple buses, would severely limit me getting to a 'near' job centre at particular times.

There was one that was relatively close, and only a single bus trip - when/if there is a bus going that way - but they closed it, and it's now a Pet Crematorium, and a Betting Shop :D
  • Options
    alter_ego_catalter_ego_cat Posts: 6,143
    Forum Member
    It seems pretty ludicrous having to physically turn up every week, and them not paying you bus fare?. However, aren't bus fares only £2.00 still? - so that would be only £16.00 per month, assuming a single bus.

It wouldn't apply to me anyway (too old) but are such appointments at set times?, because lack of buses, and probably multiple buses, would severely limit me getting to a 'near' job centre at particular times.

There was one that was relatively close, and only a single bus trip - when/if there is a bus going that way - but they closed it, and it's now a Pet Crematorium, and a Betting Shop :D

The £2 cap doesn't apply everywhere but I guess there will be some months with 5 weekly visits so it could be up to £20 a month, even at £2.
  • Options
    andydenyerandydenyer Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    edited 12/04/24 - 17:03 #9

£2,50 now in some areas (since October 2023), but some bus companies have held it at £2:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-extends-2-bus-fare-cap-and-protects-vital-services
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,165
    Forum Member
    edited 12/04/24 - 22:07 #10
    I've read that help can be given with travel expenses but that's discretionary and subject to local guidelines and budgets. That's paid from something called the Flexible Support Fund so you might want to read this PDF to see if you're entitled to get anything for your regular work search review appointments. I've had a quick look and you don't appear to come under the circumstances where it must be paid.

For the "normal" fortnightly appointments you're expected to pay for travel out of you UC, but for the first 13 weeks of a claim you have to attend weekly and they do have to refund your travel for the alternate weeks you have to go down there.
  • Options
    Samantha_IsaacsSamantha_Isaacs Posts: 196,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For the "normal" fortnightly appointments you're expected to pay for travel out of you UC, but for the first 13 weeks of a claim you have to attend weekly and they do have to refund your travel for the alternate weeks you have to go down there.

I don't even get fortnightly appointments anymore
  • Options
    Watts O'PowerWatts O'Power Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 13/04/24 - 11:48 #12
    I had to get a job over a year ago and I've had to pay almost £100 per month in travel costs and my workplace say tough we can't refund you. Yet these daily workdays continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had to get a job over a year ago and I've had to pay almost £100 per month in travel costs and my workplace say tough we can't refund you. Yet these daily workdays continue.

It's hardly the same thing, is it?
  • Options
    andydenyerandydenyer Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    edited 13/04/24 - 15:14 #14

An employer is under no obligation whatsoever to pay your travel costs to and from your normal place of work. You would normal only get any additional travel costs reimbursed e.g if being asked to go to another location to work or attend a training course, say. I would love for my employer to pay for my annual season ticket that costs me in excess of £4k!
  • Options
    Watts O'PowerWatts O'Power Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 14/04/24 - 18:33 #15

I was being sarky - we all have to travel to get to obligations, and we all have to pay for our own travel, it's part of life. OP should stop asking for something for nothing, paid for by the rest of us.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was being sarky - we all have to travel to get to obligations, and we all have to pay for our own travel, it's part of life. OP should stop asking for something for nothing, paid for by the rest of us.

All welfare is "something for nothing" so do you think people who are entitled should stop asking for that?

Those who are unemployed and on Universal Credit are more likely to struggle to afford travel expenses and other costs involved when seeking work which is why they are sometimes offered additional financial help.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm perfectly aware you were being sarky but don't you think it is difficult enough to get by on UC without being landed with transport costs which really don't seem necessary. You never know, you might need benefits one day - I hope people may show you more empathy.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well if I was still working in London my commute costs would be close to £1000 per month.

Train and underground £739
    Taxi in morning £200
    Bus in evening £40

I don't drive and live in a village a few miles from Folkestone.

But it's all relative, my salary was good so it wasn't a struggle when I did work there (was exhausting though) . I imagine if your on benefits there is very little leeway so that £20 could mean the difference between having enough to pay your bills and falling short.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hi Rishi.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,213
    Forum Member
    edited 15/04/24 - 15:47 #20
    My JCP pays transport costs to the fortnightly meetings providing you have your ticket. But their policy is they don't if you're late. That's for JSA; don't know about UC.

They also were very free and easy with telephone appointments (given a reason) instead of in-person ones. They've tightened up on that now (new bloke in charge there) and prefer to reschedule the in-person appointment.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a bike or an electric scooter.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,560
    Forum Member

Why?, electric scooters are illegal on the road or public property.

A bike fair enough, although buying a bike is an even larger expense, and might not be so easy depending on distance and terrain.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes a good old illegal scooter is the way forward.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why?, electric scooters are illegal on the road or public property.

A bike fair enough, although buying a bike is an even larger expense, and might not be so easy depending on distance and terrain.

What is the distance? OP hasn't made that clear.

Besides, the person living 2 streets away from the job centre may themselves have additional travel costs to/from out-of-town retail parks for example. So the 'unfairness' can cancel out.
  • Options
    P+3P+3 Posts: 12,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 18/04/24 - 09:56 #25

BUT only if the info on here applies for the OP

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-users
    and this info was last updated on
    Last updated
    3 January 2024

and do note that
    These rules are only for rental e-scooters used as part of trials

Rules for private scooters are
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/powered-transporters/information-sheet-guidance-on-powered-transporters

the OP has not yet stated the distance to the Reporting Centre but may wish to get a normal pedal bike
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First, if an in-person interview is necessary, who should be liable for your travel costs?

Because somebody has to pay them; bus companies don't provide their services for free. If somebody else pays them for you, is it fair on them (that usually means everyone else) that you happen live at such a distance from the job centre?

Do you in fact live far enough away to require public transport? If it's only a few miles, and you are able-bodied, then walk it or cycle it or skate it. Or get a lift.

The other point is whether a face-to-face interview is essential. Here I agree that the job-centre should either offer an on-line interview, or tell you the reasons why it is not viable. Although that wouldn't suit everyone either (I'd rather go in-person than faff about with computer stuff that's always going wrong).