Options

Bye bye Freesat and Saorview in urban Ireland

ftakeith2ftakeith2 Posts: 3,037
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I got the dish and aerial disconnected today.

With Apple 4K TV devices and smart phones, the Freesat and Saorview were hardly used mostly in the last 12 months.

Apple tv devices gives me the RTÉ Player, virgin media tv player, tg4 player & channel four on demand.

I also have Eir TV to record BBC tv channels.

Bye bye Freesat and Saorview.

The disconnection costs me 120euros

Comments

• Options
    Steve MorganSteve Morgan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    edited 18/04/24 - 20:09 #3
    Wait till your internet goes down and you have no backup - I wouldn't have paid to have something removed that wasn't costing me anything and would be there just in-case. Each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait till your internet goes down and you have no backup - I wouldn't have paid to have something removed that wasn't costing me anything and would be there just in-case. Each to their own.

My broadband & mobile are with the same company, Wi-Fi mobile data would step in if the home broadband goes down for my Apple 4K TV devices.

Freesat and Saorview hardly used as it is an expense in the future.
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't used our aerial in many years, as with having satellite there was no need. It's still up there on the roof. I never considered getting someone to disconnect and remove it, because it's doing no harm at all.

You do what's best for you, but I'm not sure why the need to pay someone to disconnect anything when you can just unplug your old TV boxes and carry on with your new kit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't used our aerial in many years, as with having satellite there was no need. It's still up there on the roof. I never considered getting someone to disconnect and remove it, because it's doing no harm at all.

You do what's best for you, but I'm not sure why the need to pay someone to disconnect anything when you can just unplug your old TV boxes and carry on with your new kit.

There are 700,000 sky satellites in the republic of Ireland.
    There are over 300,000 satellites and aerials in the republic of Ireland.
    They all need to be taken down now before installers are gone.
    I was one of the first persons in May 2003 to get an dish/aerial for Freesat/aerial in Ireland.
    I am one of the early persons to realise that Freesat and Saorview are over now.

RTÉ Player, virgin media tv player, tg4 player & channel four on demand are available for free in the republic of Ireland on many legal streaming devices or the Irish version of freely.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,563
    Forum Member
    ftakeith2 wrote: »

I am one of the early persons to realise that Freesat and Saorview are over now.

And you are completely wrong about everything - and rather gullible to pay 120 Euros to have your dish and aerial taken down, did it take him four hours?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you are completely wrong about everything - and rather gullible to pay 120 Euros to have your dish and aerial taken down, did it take him four hours?.

Explain to me what I am wrong about?

70 minutes to take down the dish/aerial, cables from the inside/outside.
    30 Minutes to clean up some dust.

Freesat/Saorview are finished in Ireland as over 90% have fibre broadband now.
    Disconnect now in Ireland, it is over .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Paying 120 Euros to have less choice.... OK then... :|

less choice.

Most of the BBC TV/ITV/Channel4/channel5 programmes end up on the RTE Player, Virgin TV Player, TG4 Player & channel 4 on demand for free streaming.
    Freesat's new technology is hit & miss now.
    Pulled the chord!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But do they need taking down, and why does the availability of installers matter?

Plenty of infrastructure remains in place long after it's stopped being actively used. If the day ever came when my aerial (or dish when TV via streaming fully takes over) became sufficiently rusty it appeared to be a hazard, I'd just get a set of ladders and remove them myself. In the meantime they're doing no harm staying where they are, and I don't have to trouble myself or worse pay someone to remove them.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 19/04/24 - 10:15 #11
    You need an installer to put them up but just a handyman to take them down, not that I would do so unless they were dangerously rusty and liable to fall.

Looking at post #6 a million homes are staying with aerials and satellite but if it makes the o/p happy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But do they need taking down, and why does the availability of installers matter?

Plenty of infrastructure remains in place long after it's stopped being actively used. If the day ever came when my aerial (or dish when TV via streaming fully takes over) became sufficiently rusty it appeared to be a hazard, I'd just get a set of ladders and remove them myself. In the meantime they're doing no harm staying where they are, and I don't have to trouble myself or worse pay someone to remove them.

Good luck to you if you can uninstall.

Most of the persons can't uninstall in Ireland. The time is now to disconnect freesat/Saorview in Ireland.

I got an scrap dealer that took away the dish/aerial/cables for free this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19/04/24 - 11:13 #13

Good luck to you if you can uninstall.

Most of the persons can't uninstall in Ireland. The time is now to disconnect freesat/Saorview in Ireland.

I got an scrap dealer that took away the dish/aerial/cables for free this morning.

All I'd have to do is unscrew the four bolts holding the bracket to the wall and the aerial or dish would come free to be passed down. If for some reason I wanted the cable run gone too, then I'd just remove the cable clips holding it in place with the claw of a hammer.

You're making it sound like removing them is in some way difficult. Provided you can climb a ladder and use a screwdriver and a hammer, it's easy.
  • Options
    Watts O'PowerWatts O'Power Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never had an aerial on my house as it's within a few miles of a main transmitter with line-of-sight, a set-top type aerial has always sufficed for all terrestrial channels. I haven't had one connected nor watched anything via DTT for many years, though.

My parents recently had some work done on the roof and had their long disused rooftop television aerial removed at the same time, more from the point of view of "just in case". With the number of wind storms coming through every year these days, it'd only be a matter of time before it became damaged and may have ended up damaging the roof on its way down.
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,187
    Forum Member
    Has a law been passed in Ireland requiring dishes to be removed. Even if you don't what are the consequences ?

Can't see this happening in UK, plus how would they enforce. My dish is low down at back of house on garden side. How would they know. Are they planning to send round inspectors to check that dishes and aerials have been removed (mine is in loft so no one would know it's there).
  • Options
    MK65ManMK65Man Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what way are Freesat and Saorview "an expense in the future"?

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My parents recently had some work done on the roof and had their long disused rooftop television aerial removed at the same time, more from the point of view of "just in case". With the number of wind storms coming through every year these days, it'd only be a matter of time before it became damaged and may have ended up damaging the roof on its way down.

If you're already paying someone to be up there, and they don't mind doing you a quick favour by removing it, then sure, why not? But I wouldn't actively chose to pay someone to go up and do it when there's no urgency about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Has a law been passed in Ireland requiring dishes to be removed. Even if you don't what are the consequences ?

Can't see this happening in UK, plus how would they enforce. My dish is low down at back of house on garden side. How would they know. Are they planning to send round inspectors to check that dishes and aerials have been removed (mine is in loft so no one would know it's there).

I never mentioned laws.

In a few years, the installers will be gone.
    When the freesat signal goes, do you think there will reunions of ex satellite installers to take down the dishes in Ireland!
  • Options
    daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange thing to do OP, and to pay for it too! Is it just about having everything neat and tidy?

As others have said, I'd keep them for back up as long as they're not already about to fall down.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member

My broadband & mobile are with the same company, Wi-Fi mobile data would step in if the home broadband goes down for my Apple 4K TV devices.

Sorry you have lost me at this bit. What cost saving have you achieved here?

You mention cordcutting in your other post but that is a term used for getting rid of Pay TV subscriptions.

As others have said, unless the dish and aerial were actually faulty and/or unsafe I would have left as is. Maybe unplugged the box/leads if it really bothered me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 19/04/24 - 16:59 #21
    I think the o/p has been reading too many comments about the future of broadcasting on sites such as this, no idea why he thinks you need to have an installer to take things down unless he has fallen for a door step scam merchant.

"Dishes and aerials will be illegal next year gov, I'll take yours down for €120, it will be double that next year when all the installers have gone".
  • Options
    Watts O'PowerWatts O'Power Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you're already paying someone to be up there, and they don't mind doing you a quick favour by removing it, then sure, why not? But I wouldn't actively chose to pay someone to go up and do it when there's no urgency about it.

This is exactly what happened, there was someone up there (not sure what for, I don't live there!) and it was just a quick extra job while they were on the roof.

I still have old technology on my own house - I've had a fibre-optic internet connection for a while now, but there's still a completely redundant copper phone line which will most likely never get used again. I'd assume at some point these will get removed, if only for the value of all the copper attached to everyone's house!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is exactly what happened, there was someone up there (not sure what for, I don't live there!) and it was just a quick extra job while they were on the roof.

I still have old technology on my own house - I've had a fibre-optic internet connection for a while now, but there's still a completely redundant copper phone line which will most likely never get used again. I'd assume at some point these will get removed, if only for the value of all the copper attached to everyone's house!

Maybe not as the cost of removing the cable and recovering the copper will not be worth it. They won't be allowed to pile the cable up and set fire to the insulation like the low life do.

• Options
    the_viasat_guythe_viasat_guy Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramblings of a mad man. I love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the o/p has been reading too many comments about the future of broadcasting on sites such as this, no idea why he thinks you need to have an installer to take things down unless he has fallen for a door step scam merchant.

"Dishes and aerials will be illegal next year gov, I'll take yours down for €120, it will be double that next year when all the installers have gone".

The installer was telling me, are you sure you want me to uninstall.

When Freesat is gone in the future, it could be 2030 or 2026 or sooner with advances in technology
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveyfs wrote: »
    What a strange thing to do OP, and to pay for it too! Is it just about having everything neat and tidy?

As others have said, I'd keep them for back up as long as they're not already about to fall down.

If the home broadband goes down, my mobile broadband data will be my back up for my streaming devices