Options

Can’t shift cold!!

NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 497
Forum Member
The last couple of weeks, I have had what has felt like a massive cold, but I can’t seem to shift it, I have tried everything going and I am now on antibiotics for the cough.

I cannot sleep, I can hardly eat because coughing so much make my stomach hurt.

I went out for a hen party last night and had to leave before everyone else because my throat was killing me and I almost lost my voice.

I’m losing the will to live at the moment and just want this gone!

Comments

• Options
    SenlacJackSenlacJack Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but you can't be that ill if you went out for a hen party in the first place. If you've been prescribed antibiotics you have more than a cold though so what has your GP diagnosed ?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,567
    Forum Member
    edited 29/04/24 - 02:43 #3
    It's something going around, my daughter and I had it 3 weeks ago, it lasted a few days with blocked nose that stopped me sleeping but the cough just would not go away afterwards, and still hasn't! Mine lasted 2 weeks then it was gone though now I've picked up a catarrhy sore throat grrrr (but no cough). But not hers, the cough has stuck, poor thing (and you). Doc says a couple of weeks coughing is fairly normal for this whatever it is.

Who knows, could even be some variant of COVID, which seems to have turned into more of a nasty sore throat and either tickly or catarrhy cough these days from what I've seen - but we don't know as few people are testing now. Hope yours eases off soon.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I went out for a hen party last night and had to leave before everyone else because my throat was killing me and I almost lost my voice.
    Did you at least stay long enough to ensure that a few of your friends and especially the bride caught it?

I agree. If I was with a group of people and one of them said they had a cold and was constantly coughing, I would suggest they leave and if not then I would as I would not wish to catch whatever it is they have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SenlacJack wrote: »
    Sorry but you can't be that ill if you went out for a hen party in the first place. If you've been prescribed antibiotics you have more than a cold though so what has your GP diagnosed ?

Unfortunately I had already paid a lot of money for this and as a bridesmaid I had to go. I felt well enough to go. It’s literally now just a blocked nose and I lose my voice. Plus I didn’t drink due to being on the antibiotics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    It's something going around, my daughter and I had it 3 weeks ago, it lasted a few days with blocked nose that stopped me sleeping but the cough just would not go away afterwards, and still hasn't! Mine lasted 2 weeks then it was gone though now I've picked up a catarrhy sore throat grrrr (but no cough). But not hers, the cough has stuck, poor thing (and you). Doc says a couple of weeks coughing is fairly normal for this whatever it is.

Who knows, could even be some variant of COVID, which seems to have turned into more of a nasty sore throat and either tickly or catarrhy cough these days from what I've seen - but we don't know as few people are testing now. Hope yours eases off soon.

I test every day anyway. Always negative. You never know these days, but unfortunately you can just stop because of a cold. If I don’t go to work I could lose my job so I just got to go on with my life.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,225
    Forum Member

I test every day anyway. Always negative. You never know these days, but unfortunately you can just stop because of a cold. If I don’t go to work I could lose my job so I just got to go on with my life.

What have you been diagnosed with? If you are on antibiotics the Doctor must have diagnosed some sort of bacterial infection.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29/04/24 - 11:57 #9
    Last month I had some kind of virus, I can’t remember the last time I was that sick, and for so long. I had a fever that was coming and going for 9 days(40c at times!)and worse at night when I was getting ready for bed, that was the worst part, then headaches, sore throat, blocked/runny nose on top of the fevers. Doctors said that they can’t give me antibiotics for that type of thing, as it wouldn’t be effective, so was basically just suffering for over a week with normal paracetamol. Had to take a few days off work, I literally could not work, as I felt so awful and had no energy. I had to force myself to walk the 5minutes to the doctors aswell. Then roll on 4-5 weeks later, I still have mucus in the back of my throat in the morning( I don’t smoke).
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible to get two colds back to back, it's happened to me twice in the past and one time as a child I was mostly better, went out to play and ended up right back where I started. Try taking the odd spoonful of honey, or stirring some into warm water.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

An employer can't dismiss you for short-term sickness leave. Just like going to the hen party, you can spread your cold to others if you go to work while having it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

An employer can't dismiss you for short-term sickness leave. Just like going to the hen party, you can spread your cold to others if you go to work while having it.

I’m agency so I don’t have a choice.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you sure about that?

Check if you can get sick pay
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you sure about that?

Yep. They won’t pay us. Unless it’s a long period of time. They won’t pay you if you have a cold.
  • Options
    P+3P+3 Posts: 12,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you sure about that?

Yep. They won’t pay us. Unless it’s a long period of time. They won’t pay you if you have a cold.

Have you yet spoken with your agency employing authority about your unwell status and on antibiotics and are they prepared to allow you to go into your agency work in your unwell condition knowingly spreading your germs to others?(Obviously you seem prepared to still go in but should you????)

• Options
    Tanya1982Tanya1982 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 30/04/24 - 08:59 #16
    Andrue wrote: »
    Did you at least stay long enough to ensure that a few of your friends and especially the bride caught it?

It is the duty of every woman to sicken hen parties, and every man to sicken stag parties - wherever they may be found - if you know you’re ill, head into the group to congratulate with a nice big kiss. More of this and word will spread - and the pubs, along with weekend break destinations across Europe, will be safe for the rest of us.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Depends how long you've worked there and if you are agency staff they definitely can.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you sure about that?

You don't have a cold though. What have you been diagnosed with and why won't you answer the people asking you?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you sure about that?

You don't have a cold though. What have you been diagnosed with and why won't you answer the people asking you?

It’s a virus that has been going around, which has me feel like I have a cold. I have now been put on antihistamines and I seem to be feeling much, much better.

GP actually said that I managed to run myself down because I’ve been doing too much lately.

Not being funny, but we all spent nearly 2 years locked up in our homes and we all still caught Covid, so it doesn’t make a difference.

I come on here asking for advice and I can now see why I don’t come on here anymore, some of you can be quite nasty sometimes.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,112
    Forum Member
    edited 30/04/24 - 12:36 #20
    A cough can last for weeks after a bad cold, good chance you are long past infectious actually. It should get less and less eventually. Of course I have no idea what you've had or how you were prescribed anti-bs. Just from experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 30/04/24 - 12:37 #21

Are you sure about that?

It’s a virus that has been going around, which has me feel like I have a cold. I have now been put on antihistamines and I seem to be feeling much, much better.

GP actually said that I managed to run myself down because I’ve been doing too much lately.

Not being funny, but we all spent nearly 2 years locked up in our homes and we all still caught Covid, so it doesn’t make a difference.

I come on here asking for advice and I can now see why I don’t come on here anymore, some of you can be quite nasty sometimes.

Why is your GP giving you antibiotics for a virus? Did they not say why they were prescribing antibiotics?

As for being nasty, were you referring to me?
  • Options
    Tanya1982Tanya1982 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 30/04/24 - 13:29 #22

Are you sure about that?

Why is your GP giving you antibiotics for a virus? Did they not say why they were prescribing antibiotics?

You did kind of talk to her as if she was being interviewed under caution, when she was only looking for some friendly reassurance that she was likely OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tanya1982 wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

You did kind of talk to her as if she was being interviewed under caution, when she was only looking for some friendly reassurance that she was likely OK.

It was a fair question and she still hasn't answered. It's strange coming on here asking for advice then ignoring all the questions people ask you.
  • Options
    alter_ego_catalter_ego_cat Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member

Are you sure about that?

This long cold with a lasting cough seems to have doing the rounds for a few months. I know a few people who've had it and some of them were also prescribed anti-biotics. It's not realistic to expect you to stay off work for the duration. I've worked for organisations before where 2 separate absences in a 3 month period launched you into disciplinary proceedings. Nobody stayed off work with a cold - and that was with the protection of being a permanent employee. Glad you're starting to feel better.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30/04/24 - 16:51 #25

Are you sure about that?

I have never caught Covid. Several of my friends never have either. Perhaps that's because our other associates chose to stay home if/when they had it.

But antibiotics should not be prescribed for a virus because they have no effect. If your GP gave you a prescription for antibiotics there must be something else here. Hopefully it clears up but seriously you should rethink going to social events when you're contagious. That's how Covid spread. The virus didn't do anything. We did it to ourselves.
  • Options
    andydenyerandydenyer Posts: 6,143
    Forum Member

Are you sure about that?

Not all. My parents have never had it, and neither have I (so far as we are aware, as of course we could have all been asymptomatic and had it without our knowledge). Equally, I know people that have had it several times.