Options

Race Across the World - Series 4 - Starts April 10th BBC1

Comments

• Options
    NewAroundHereNewAroundHere Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the scene in the fish market where the older ladies were all smiling and happy at seeing them. One even patting Eugenie on the bottom. :smiley:
    In another culture - like the UK or US - that might be considered sexual assault.
  • Options
    doogie1970doogie1970 Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I appreciate that they need to leave many hours of coverage on the cutting room floor in order to fit the travels of 5 teams over a week each into an hour of TV but there are still some annoying unexplained gaps. For example, the two young lads were stuck in Kobe hundreds of miles behind and then suddenly they are on the first ferry out of Japan

I also find the heavy edit annoying.

It's a shame they don't do an extended version with 'unseen footage' like they do for some other reality shows, for those of us that want more than just a 1 hour fix each week.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It still amuses me that Betty's backpack is nearly as big as she is!
  • Options
    Samantha_IsaacsSamantha_Isaacs Posts: 200,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evening
  • Options
    The Unknown OneThe Unknown One Posts: 21,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening Sam, evening all. :)

With an elimination in the offing, one team a long way behind, and the leading team continuing to overspend, it promises to be an interesting episode.
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the last pair aren't really as far behind as the edit had you believe ;)

Lets cheer them on so we don't need to have anymore of Stephen lowering Brits reputation abroad even lower :D
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening - glad the gap isn't as bad as it looked at the end of the last episode.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening, looking forward to more beautiful scenery tonight
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm not sure how I feel about the use of planes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailing team 'only' being 30 hours or so behind the leaders is actually better than I thought.

I assume China was part of the original plan, but the producers encountered difficulties in being allowed to film there, so opted to just skip it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less of a challenge this time. Hanoi to Phnom Penh is a well trodden backpacker route and the language will be less of a problem as English is widely spoken.
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they travel via china?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I visited Ho Chi Minh and Phenom Penh last year (both lovely places but hectic! :smile: )

I don't believe there are many/any railways in Cambodia so it'll be busing it if they cut across early.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vietnam looks beautiful
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well if going through China was no longer a viable option I guess they didn't really have much in the way of alternatives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailing team 'only' being 30 hours or so behind the leaders is actually better than I thought.

I assume China was part of the original plan, but the producers encountered difficulties in being allowed to film there, so opted to just skip it.

Yeah hopefully someone asks Richard Osman on The Rest Is Entertainment podcast to see if he can find out the backstory if China was the plan and why it didn't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Booty luv wrote: »

Visa and filming restrictions probably. In the first series they went through China but a lot of it couldn't be filmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A reason wasn't mentioned, but I reckon it wasn't part of the original plan and the producers just had to make it work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »

Well if going through China was no longer a viable option I guess they didn't really have much in the way of alternatives.

And going through North Korea and Russia wouldn't have been possible either.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any other mode of transport would have been better than a plane imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24/04/24 - 20:12 #3597
    LostFool wrote: »

And going through North Korea and Russia wouldn't have been possible either.

deffo not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a sleeper train is as good as Alfie thinks it is. All the YouTube videos I've watched of people taking sleeper trains have resulted in really poor night's sleep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably because they didn’t want people from another country running around their country with cameras, filming.
    It doesn’t surprise me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I couldn’t do the eating thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any other mode of transport would have been better than a plane imo.

Is there even another option though? A ship would seem to be the only option. But given the distance by sea from South Korea to Vietnam, I'm not sure such a service even exists.